Permissions and copyright guidelines

Copyright law is complex, varies from country to country, and generally applies to all media, whether print, digital, online, broadcast, or other. It applies to scholarly and other works, whether published or not. As author/editor, it is your responsibility to obtain all necessary permissions and to pay any associated fees for reproducing material that is not original to you or for which you do not hold all rights. Please note that it may also be necessary for you to obtain permission to reproduce material that you have published elsewhere (e.g., in a journal).

Finding the appropriate rightsholder and obtaining their permission to reproduce materials can in some cases be a lengthy and expensive process. You should therefore start as soon as you possibly can, and certainly well before you intend to submit your finished manuscript to us.

While some limited materials can be reproduced without obtaining legal permission, determining when this is the case can be complex. Our advice is: If in doubt, ask for permission! It is Hogrefe's policy to ask you to obtain and forward to us copies of permissions if you wish to reproduce any of the following types of materials in your work (the list is not exhaustive):

  • Figures
  • Tables
  • Photographs
  • Text extracts more than a few lines long from scholarly works
  • Any text extracts, even short ones, from newspapers, magazines, interviews, speeches, and similar
  • Artistic or creative works, or extracts from them

The best way of obtaining permission is to send the rightsholder a permission request, such as the one in the template. If you do not receive a response to your initial request, follow up with a phone call or emails. And if this fails, consider deleting the material from your manuscript or replacing it with something else.

Please send the permissions to us along with your manuscript, with a note as to which chapter / figure / table it is for; and keep a copy for your own records.