The ABAS-3 provides a comprehensive norm-referenced assessment of adaptive skills in individuals ages birth-89 years, and is especially useful for diagnosing and classifying various developmental, learning, and behavioural disabilities and disorders; identifying strengths and weaknesses; and documenting and monitoring progress over time.
Please note: Online forms are also now available
Suitable for ages 0-89 years.
Features and benefits
- Retains all the essential features that made the second edition the preferred instrument but is even easier to administer and score.
- Particularly useful for evaluating those with developmental delays, autism spectrum disorder, intellectual disability, learning disabilities, neuropsychological disorders, and sensory or physical impairments.
- Integrates assessment, intervention planning, and progress monitoring.
- Developed with American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities (AAIDD), DSM-5, and IDEA standards in mind.
- Within three major adaptive domains (Conceptual, Social, and Practical), the ABAS-3 assesses 11 skill areas: communication, community use, functional academics, health and safety, home or school living, leisure, motor, self-care, self-direction, social, and work.
- Items focus on practical, everyday activities required to function, meet environmental demands, care for oneself, and interact with others effectively and independently. On a 4-point response scale, raters indicate whether, and how frequently, the individual performs each activity.
- A General Adaptive Composite (GAC) is produced.
Norm-referenced scaled scores are provided for the 11 skill areas; for the three adaptive domains and the GAC, norm-referenced standard scores, confidence intervals for standard scores, and percentile ranks are provided. In addition, all scores can be categorized descriptively.
Qualification level required:
Level 2. Please see our Test User Qualifications page for guidance
Norms are based on a large sample representative of the U.S. population.
15-20 minutes to administer.